On Feb. 22, 2021, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) announced that victims of the most recent winter storm in the state of Texas will receive tax relief in the form of an extended deadline to file and pay for their income tax returns. The extended deadline applies to both individuals and businesses, who now have until June 15, 2021, to file tax returns and make payments. Taxpayers may also make 2020 IRA contributions until the June 15 deadline.
Per the IRS, the June 15 deadline applies to the following:
- 2020 business returns normally due on March 15
- 2020 individual and business returns normally due on April 15
- Estimates due after Feb 11 and before June 15
- Quarterly payroll and excise tax returns normally due on April 30, 2021
- Tax-exempt organizations operating on a calendar-year basis that have a 2020 return due on May 17, 2021
To determine if you may be considered an affected taxpayer eligible for relief please reference the IRS Announcement and FAQ site.
For more information about this disaster relief, contact your DHG tax advisor or reach out to us at email@example.com.
 IRS announces tax relief for Texas severe winter storm victims. www.irs.gov. Feb. 22, 2021.